Saturday, January 19, 2008

Interesting Times Ahead

I took a long hard look at the calendar recently, and realized that I was coming to a major turning point in my career.

Seven years back, I was injured on the job. It was a knee injury (completely torn ACL), and not diagnosed properly for years... by the time they realized what the problem was and I had surgery to fix it all up as best they could, my knee was permanently damaged from the years of internal instability. They thought at the time I should heal properly and be back to full duties in a year.

It's now been almost three years since the surgery, and I have still not recovered full function. I have come to the conclusion that I am as good as I'm going to get, and I had better adjust accordingly. I cannot meet the physical requirements of my job any longer.

They are deciding whether to release me as a result of my decreased abilities. However, even if they decide to keep me around, I know what my limits are and I know that this career and I are so over. I've been making plans to fulfill a life-long dream of obtaining a university degree.

If they don't release me and I have to quit, I need to give six month's notice. Six months to September is (holy crap!) March.

The deadline began breathing down my neck in a huge fashion once I realized how close it really was. Last night, I did a hugely exciting thing: began my application to university. As much as I've talked and planned, actually filling in the application online suddenly made it up-close and personal. I am very excited and of course nervous... what a huge thing to go to university 20 years after high school! Not to mention the the massive change in my annual income. Interesting times ahead.

I am willing to quit in order to get to where I need to go, but there's huge advantages to being released medically, not the least of which are educational benefits. I will know within the next month what that decision is... keep yer fingers crossed for me that I am released.

4 comments:

Leanne said...

Consider fingers crossed. And whatever happens, I'm sure it will all work out as it is supposed to!

I also went back to university as an adult (12 years after graduating from high school), though I went part time while I was full time, so it took my 7 years to do my degree. It's not as scary as it seems! Life experience gives you a huge advantage over the youngens (oh my, doesn't that make me sound old!!). You'll do great, I'm sure!

Velda said...

Good for you! I know how much you've been wanting this.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

So I'm assuming that a remuster is out of the question then????

I am with you on the going back to school. The plan is to go full time in one year. Between now and then I'll take a few night clsses to get me into the swing of things.

kate said...

fingers, toes, whatever you need to be crossed, tied,dotted, kicked... I can do it if it'll makes a difference in getting a positive outcome for you! You are definitely ready for this change and inspiring as all get out to the rest of us!

Don't think of March as a deadline, think of it as a birthday - the birthday of your next adventure!

Now get out those party candles and prepare to make some fireworks! Woo-hoo!!