Monday, June 30, 2008

The War For Global Kitty Domination

DH and the girls are far, far away right now, kicking off their summer in a befitting manner. I opted to stay at home and enjoy the peace and tidiness of a house that was 100% under my control, and I took a couple of days of leave to stretch a weekend and a statutory holiday into five days off. I was looking forward to many glorious mornings of sleeping in without the inevitable sound of children squabbling or slamming their breakfast dishes down on the counter.

I didn't count on the kitties, though. The latest battleground in the War For Global Kitty Domination is the most crucial one: the privilege to Sleep With The Human. My peaceful bed, which should have been the site of much happy slumbering, is now home to sneak attacks at 0205, screaming and growling at 0316, a brief moment of happy purrs with the current victor at 0350, until they creep to the edge of the bed in paranoia at 0421 to ready themselves for the next sneak attack at 0550. I am getting crankier and crankier as the weekend progresses from lack of quality sleep.

I dare not interrupt the power struggles, though. They really need to get this sorted out in the same way they have decided other battles in the war. I suppose I'm lucky this is occurring on holidays, when I always have the option of a nice afternoon nap to console myself with.

2 comments:

Velda said...

Alright, my friend, I'm laughing so loud you should here me 1 1/2 hrs away! we have the SAME issue....Kameko rules the roost...or so she thinks in her all of nearly 16 years....she's finally teamed up with Gizzy ( age 2) to pick on Mau...but mau is 6 mths old and LOVES to jump into the middle of it all. Good thing I am usually up at 2am, 4am and for good at 6am of we'd likely have some sad news on my blog...kidding, I'd NEVER harm my fur babies....

I have an idea:
SHUT THE BEDROOM DOOR!!!!!!

as soon as Mina and Ginger behave, then let them back in as a privelege....

I didn't know your 'family' was away, I'm so glad you're having some quiet time...I know you love it so much :)

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

I'm laughing at you now. Looks like the kids who only wake you in the am, at not several times during the night, are looking better and better.