Monday, July 21, 2008

Close Enough?

We were walking down the street in the Old City in Montreal, when I saw a woman with simply amazing hair. It was iron-grey, fell to her lower back, and was beautifully braided in hundreds of cornrows. It looked lovely. I always try to pass along compliments where due; my French is poor but I thought it up to the challenge. I thought a minute, confirmed a word with my husband, and approached the woman as we were stopped at a light. "Your hair is very pretty!" I said in my best grade-school French.

Turns out it was a wasted effort- she was a visitor in town too and spoke not a word of French. I laughed in relief and repeated my compliment in English. She smiled, thanked me and we turned different directions at the street corner and parted ways.

I turned to find my husband killing himself with laughter. My poor grasp of French made my compliment to translate "Yous has a pretty horse."

Chevaux, cheveux. Whatever. :)

Just as well she didn't speak French. Just as well I don't try more often.

2 comments:

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

I had to laugh...a lot...

Reminds me of the time DH tried to transulate "We are the Champions" by Queen. He ended up singing "We are the mushrooms"

Velda said...

Oh gosh you crack me up!