Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Best Kind of Company

DH and I went to the wedding of one of his Army buddies today up north. It was a small wedding at a beautiful location on the Ottawa River. Pretty much everyone else was a relative of either bride or groom so we wandered around, keeping each other's company from sheer lack of other options.

Then, during the meal, two very interesting people sat down with us and changed the tone of the day. Chris MacLean is a singer and musician, both in the singer-songwriter tradition and with an Indian folk ensemble called Galitcha. Kuljit is also a singer/musician with Galitcha, and composes most of their music. I had heard them interviewed on CBC radio last year and meant to look them up... well, they came to me! :)

Please do listen to the clips on their sites. Chris's song "Spring", with her group Frida's Brow, reminds me of Jane Siberry a little, and I love the little "yay!" after the line "and the birds are home to stay."

They were the best kind of lunch company... unexpected, interesting, thoughtful and horizon-broadening. I'll be sure to look out for their live performances in the Ottawa area.

2 comments:

Velda said...

mm I enjoyed Chris' clips, her voice is very soothing...The other group is interesting, not my style, but interesting. Glad you had a wonderful time!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Way Cool. Just goes to show you that you just never know what surprises life will throw at you.

I've never encountered anyone form the entertainment field myself. I am, however, only 3 degrees from Kevin Bacon.