Monday, April 28, 2008

From the Kitchen

DH and his brothers were busy for the last few weeks making maple syrup. What a lot of work and money was invested into the process! This is truly liquid gold.

S6301088

I think we got about 12 litres of syrup this year... that means nearly 500 litres of sap was collected for our syrup only, to say nothing of the syrup that DH's brothers took home. Crazy, and a whole lot of work. It surprises me that this sells for about $9 a litre in the stores... I know the large operations are way more efficient than DH's wood-burning boiler and manual bucket collection, but it seems to me that the price ought to be higher.

Dh was cooking dinner last night, pepper steak on the barbeque with veggies and potatoes. His cutting board with the chopped veggies was a work of art in itself.

S6301089

S6301092

For dessert, I used up a half-dozen pears that I bought in the over-ripe fruit bin at the store. They became a happy part of this Pear-Cardamom Kuchen.

S6301095

4 comments:

Velda said...

WOW 500 litres for just 8 litres finished? I had no idea. Looks dark and gooey! Mmmm I love any kind of Kuchen, especially apple, but sadly don't bake...should I be so bold as to put in a request next time we visit lol...

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Seeing all that syrop puts me in the mood for a real cabane a sucre.

Aline said...

Making me hungry over here. I lovvvve asparagus! That pie looks devine...I hope you can share the recipe. Glad to see your lovely knitting even though it is knit and tink like mine. :) fun eh?

Anonymous said...

Maple syrup season. I miss that part of New Hampshire. (We lived there for four years.) Dunno if it's the camera or if you got yours good and dark like it's hard to find here in California--yum.