Monday, June 29, 2009

Thanks For Nothing

My career with the military ended in April. So did my pay. I'm currently attending school on long-term disability (LTD), as I was injured on the job and cannot continue my career with the military. LTD will eventually begin compensation for my lost salary while I attend school, but let me tell you, it's been a long, hard and income-less three months.

I may not draw UI during this time but am expected to meekly live on sunshine, fairy dew and my hard-earned savings while I wait for the slow wheels of government to process my paperwork. 8 to 10 weeks, they said... well, welcome to week 12. I've officially spent all my savings in order to pay my mortgage and bills and will be forced to live on my credit line until they see fit as to give me my pension. (Okay, not *all* my savings; I haven't touched my RRSP's. I saved like a miser for months in prep for this dry spell, but it shouldn't have been this long.)

This is lovely thanks for 14 years of service to my country. Love you too, guys.

PS... Let me be perfectly clear. I am VERY aware that a guaranteed income, albeit delayed, is far better than no income at all. Relative to the majority of Canadians, let alone the rest of the world, I am a lucky, lucky girl. I know this. However, it pisses me off to have paid UI premiums for decades and then be unable to use it when I need to. (Don't ask me exactly why this is. It's some special military anti-loophole.)

3 comments:

Janelle said...

That loophole really annoys me, too! If you guys can't draw from UI, then why make you pay into it? Assinine, I say. Truly Assinine!

Susan said...

Couldn't have said it better, Janelle. Thanks for dropping by!

Nat said...

When I started with the feds, they kept saying to me, I needed to "save up" 13 weeks sick time because there is no Short terms disabilitiy... seems odd. (My last employer had it.)

Doesn't seem right to me... LTD seems to be problematic on many fronts. Hope it comes through soon.